top of page

Places in our Parish

Our archive is centred around events and places, take a look below at all the places we have catalogued to date, with more be added all the time.

26 Hungry Hill

Entry Name: 26, Hungry Hill
Listing Date: 5 April 1989
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373498
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224732
Location: Northrepps, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR27
County: Norfolk
Civil Parish: Northrepps
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Northrepps St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Church Farmhouse (Toad House)

House Datestone inscribed '1681 WSD' on south gable. Flint with brick dressings, some rendering. Thatched roof. Rectangular in plan with two parallel ranges to rear. Rendered facade of 4 bays, 2 storeys. 3-light C19 casements with diamond leaded panes; hood moulds. C18 doorway to third bay having flat hood on consoles; C19 door. Kneelered gables. Off-centre axial stack and right hand gable end stack both with clustered polygonal shafts. Left hand gable wall has two blocked windows to first floor, a platband and large opening to attic with brick reveals, now partly blocked. Datestone. Also known as Toad House.

Farming in Northrepps

Northrepps had up to 10 different farms in the parish including
Steel's Farm ( Now Manor Farm)
Winspurs Farm (At the Airfield)
Church Farm (North of the Church)
Grove Farm (North of New Street)
Skinner's Farm (Norwich Road A149)
Middle Farm (Crossdale Street)
Laural Farm (Hall Road)
Pit Farm (Demolished when New road junction with A149 was built)
Ling Farm (Now Shrublands)
Northrepps Estate

Foundry

The village once had a foundry, best remembered for developing the Gallus plough in 1830. This design of plough was widely used well into the 1920s. There is an example of a Gallus plough manufactured at the foundry on display in the parish church.

Grocer and Draper Church Street

There was at Grocer and Draper store in Northrepps for over 100 years possibly from 1871
We are looking for photos of the front of the shop and if anyone is able to add to the information below.
Shop and Post Office moved into the old bottle store behind the pub in 1991
Sign still visible above the kitchen door

Hill House

Sometime between 1553-1606 – Hill House was built
From 1700’s – Owned by the Gurney family, used as accommodation for visitors and Estate workers
1891 Census for Hill House – Henry Risebrow (43) Head of house - Gardener and domestic servent
Maria Risebrow (40) Wife – Caretaker
William Risebrow (19) Son – Harness Maker
1926 – Cecil Elizabeth Cambell died at Hill house
Date Unknown – Verily Anderson lived in Hill House
1977 – Sir Christopher White lived in Hill House
1978 - 4th January Fire gutted Hill House (Newspaper report)
1984 – Hill House rebuilt

New Village Hall (New Photos added)

Village hall shell complete, new water main being laid and car park entrance being formed

Old Manor Farmhouse

House, now divided in two. Early C17 with later alterations.
Quaternary flint and chert with brick dressings.
Thatched roof. Rectangular in plan, of two builds.
Right hand house of three bays, two storeys of knapped flint.
Central C20 single storey brick and flint porch. To the right of it a five-light painted masonry mullioned and transomed window with smaller two light mullioned window beside stack to ground and first floors, all with rendered reveals. To left of porch a four-light casement to ground floor; two more C19 casements to first floor. All windows with diamond leaded panes. Left hand house of three bays two storeys flint with galleting with similar C20 porch; a three light C19 casement to each side.
Three cross-casements to first floor. Crow-stepped gable to shared wall and to gable ends. C17 polygonal clustered shafts to stack at right hand end.
Axial and left hand end stacks C19. Right hand gable wall has diapering; two blocked attic lights with hood moulds. Left hand gable with platband. (Historic England)

Old Village Hall

Queen Elizabeth II Coronation celebrations 2nd June 1953

Parish Church of St Marys

The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin is mainly 15th century.

Post Office

Northrepps Post Office c 1910 (The Stamp Book)
Kelly’s Directory of Norfolk tells us that the Postmaster in 1900 was Henry Wells. The 1901 Census shows him as Post Office and Grocer. His wife at that time was Rachel Appleton. By the 1911 census Rachel was a widow at Crossdale St, Northrepps. She identifies herself as the Sub Post Mistress G P O. Her son Henry is also listed as the Postman.

Railways through Northrepps

Two railway lines ran through Northrepps
One being the Norfolk and Suffolk Joint Railway also owned by the Midland and Great Northern and Great Eastern. This line ran from North Walsham Town station to Cromer Beach station and beyond. Opened on 3rd August 1906 and closed on 7th April 1953.
The other being the Great Eastern Railway from Norwich Thorpe station to Cromer High station. Opened 20th October 1872 and extended to Cromer Beach station in 1877.
Cromer High station closed 20th September 1954
Photo shows the signal box at the junction for the line, on the right to Cromer High, going under the bridge at the end of the Avenue in Northrepps and the line to the left going to Roughton Road/Cromer Beach stations and beyond.
On the raised land behind the signal box is where Christopher's Close has been built

bottom of page